TEL AVIV, Israel — The Israeli military has drawn up plans for a major ground invasion into Gaza to fully occupy the territory within a few months and establish military rule there, according to two people who reviewed the war plans.
This comes as Israel has returned to war in Gaza, ending a two-month ceasefire last week and carrying out intensive airstrikes targeting Hamas officials that has driven up the death toll in the territory past 50,000, according to Gaza health officials.
Both people briefed on the plans said they were presented to Israel’s Security Cabinet but that it was unclear if and when the plans would be carried out and whether they are a negotiation tactic to pressure Hamas to release more hostages. They spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the classified plans.
According to one of the people briefed on the plans, Israel would order Gaza’s 2.2 million Palestinians into a smaller “humanitarian zone” than the area it has currently designated for civilians. The military is examining options for soldiers to control the distribution of food limited to a minimum caloric amount necessary for survival, the person said.
Occupying Gaza and establishing military rule there would go beyond Israel’s stated war goals to end Hamas rule and free hostages captured in the Oct. 7, 2023, attack. The plans were first published Friday by the Israeli newspaper Haaretz.
In a statement, the Israeli military told NPR it would “not comment on future operational plans” and that it acts according to the directives of Israel’s political leadership.
Separately, Israel’s Cabinet said it approved a plan to establish an administration to help Gaza residents emigrate on what it called a voluntary basis, echoing a recent proposal by President Trump.